Custom Buttons in an Editable Grid Quickform – Saleslogix 8.0/8.1
Posted By: Alex.Cottner on January 22nd, 2014 in General
No Gravatar

Today I wanted to add several custom buttons (schedule activity and complete unscheduled activity buttons) in an editable grid. At first I thought about doing the usual convert to custom smart part, however that would have made simpler customizations down the road a little more difficult. So I decided to just take advantage of the custom format function and try to inject the custom buttons that I wanted.

Custom buttons on our grid

First, I added just a regular editable field and bound it to an arbitrary field in the data set. See screenshot below.
Custom format property
(more…)


Configuring multiple SlxJobService instances on the same machine
Posted By: nicocrm on January 9th, 2014 in Saleslogix
No Gravatar

In Saleslogix 8.1 a lot of the operations are now performed in an out of process service called “Job Service” for improved performance. This is great because no longer does the web server need to be bogged down with bulk activity operations, report generation, etc. It is definitely something that is going to be immensely useful in customizations – how often do we want to perform a long running operation like an import or a bulk record manipulation but can’t without blowing up the web server? Now we can offload those to the job service. There is a full API that lets you query the status of operations from Javascript so we can provide a progress update to the user.

Anyway, this post is not about the job service’s use per se, but rather how to deal with it in development and staging environment. Frequently in those cases we have need to run multiple instances of the SalesLogix web client for different databases. But with the default configuration, all those instances will connect to the same job service – which only interacts with 1 database at a time! So for example you could be running a report in instance B, but instead it will return the records from instance A.

In order to work around this problem, 2 things need to be done:

  • * the job service needs to be deployed to a separate folder instead of the default “C:\ProgramData\Sage\Scheduling\Tenants\SlxJobService“. It has to be a subfolder of the Tenants folder though (C:\ProgramData\Sage\Scheduling\Tenants\):
    Screenshot of AA config
  • * the slx client has to be told that it needs to communicate with this alternate “tenant” instead of the default SlxJobService. This is done by editing the sage.platform.scheduling.tenantId variable inside of the appSettings.config file:
    <add key="sage.platform.scheduling.tenantId" value="SlxJobService" />
    
  • That’s it! I have not had to restart the “Saleslogix Job Service” itself (it’s a Windows service) – it seems to pick up new deployments automatically.